Thursday, October 1, 2009

1977 Tennis Championships on TV

My normal routine at the end of the day either by phone or in person is to ask my wife how her day had been. Given that she's an attorney, there may be times I don't understand the process or processes of law but I'm always intruiged and interested to hear about them. Yesterday was different. She came home to find me watching the Tennis Channel (as I normally do) and inquired what I find interesting with really old tennis programs. This line of questioning is not new to me. She just does not understand what I see in it. I explained to her that one of the players I'm watching is Rod Laver who was number #1 in the 60's and 70's. This was before my time (in a sense) -I was about 15 or 16 when this match was played. My sister actually nailed it - 'what your wife does not understand is that tennis in those days were pure - all talent, unlike today where your equipment actually helps you'; your wooden racket had gut for strings with normal tensions of 55 lbs when nowadays they hover between 65-80 lbs. Back then you had to be creative and actually had to play good in order to beat your opponent. Today, if you can hit the ball 143 miles per hour, chances are you opponent can do the same. Though impressive to watch, the game of finesse has all but disappeared.

She gets dressed and proceeds to do laundry. I had spoken to her earlier that evening when she was headed to Katharine's basketball meeting and she mentioned she was hungry then. She prepares a dinner plate and walked towards the playroom where I motioned for her to sit next to me. She immediately informs me that she was upset to see me watching 'old tennis' while our daughter was in another room. She also stated that she asked her co-workers what they thought of by telling them of my 'old programs' habit. I didn't realize that my watching old tennis programs had been bothering her -a lot! I was insulted! I stood up and told her that I happen to like it so why can't she accept it?

Do people normally get upset with others when Cary Grant is on? Do they normally get upset when they come across TMC on TV? What about old episodes of Star Trek? What about Friends? I don't get it. The next time she watches 'National Treasure' for the hundredth time should I get upset? ... maybe I should...

No comments:

Post a Comment